WELCOME, DEAR VISITOR
EPLÉNY is a community, situated in between the Zirc basin and the plateau of Veszprém. It is first mentioned in charters in 1749 as a plain, -in Hungarian "puszta"- and boundary belonging to Olaszfalu. Its country squire was the abbot of Zirc. Its chapel was consecrated in the honour of Saint Bernard. Ödön Vajda, the abbot of Zirc had the school built. The origin of the name of the community is uncertain and it means the following: "cross-beam joining the runners of a sleigh". The development of the community accelerated at the beginning of the 1930s. The manganese ore mine was opened in 1929 and was operated by a private company up to the year of 1933. From this year to 1948 it was owned by Rimamurányi-Salgótarjáni private limited company, which was nationalized in 1948. Later on, it changed owners several times. E.g. in 1967 The Budapest Ore Mining Company ("Budapest Ércfeltáró Vállalat") ran the mine. In that year one hundred and twenty miners and subsidiaries could get a living. At the beginning, they devoted care to the development of the mine but later on they did not make enough effort, because the manganese ore supply was running out. The mine was finally closed down in 1979.
The main 82 road running between Veszprém and Győr cuts through the village, likewise the railways joining the two county seats. The coach traffic between the community and Veszprém and the community and Győr is very intensive. For a long period of time Eplény used to belong to the administration of Olaszfalu, since the two communities are only three kilometres apart from each other. In the 1980s both villages were joined to Zirc, which became a town. From 1st January 1992 Eplény has rewritten history due to the local referendum, the community became independent for the first time in its history.
The 200 years anniversary of the chapel was celebrated on 19th August 1993, on the day of the patron saint of the village. Before this day the building was also renovated. The oldest building in the community - according to the documents - at the time the "pub" ("korcsma") was renovated on the occasion of its 250 years anniversary. At present the building operates as the Hub of the Community. From an architectural point of view, its unique cellar is home to the Ámos Wine House, where the nectar, wine of each of the twenty-two Hungarian wine-growing regions can be tasted- perhaps during a wine tour.
Another place of interest in the community is the ski centre, which has continuously expanded from the year 2006. The skiers are taken to the top of Ámos-hill in pickaxe ski-lifts and four seated chair-lifts used only in Hungary. Two ski-runs out of the five are supplied with night lights. The ski-runs can be artificially snowed. Under favourable circumstances and in appropriately cold weather the lifts run from the morning till late in the evening.
The present community in Bakony mountains, is provided with all public utilities, due to its independent development. It becomes a more and more popular beauty spot because of its clear, peaceful surroundings and reasonable accessibility all year round. The Wood for Resting and Relaxing ("Pihenőerdő") is on Ámos-hill, which was given over in 2003, maintains and increases in popularity. It awaits tourists with nature-trails, look-out towers, sports fields, forest playgrounds, and the comfort of the visitors is provided with high quality accommodations.
It’s worth mentioning the longest railway tunnel in Transdanubia ("Dunántúl"), at the time of building, was 199 meters long, which in World War I was built mainly by Italian prisoners of war and which has already seen the shooting of films. But regrettable today, because of a constructional mistake in the 1980s, its length was reduced to 100 meters. The mountainous area, especially in autumn, is a popular hunting area visited by numerous Hungarian and foreign visitors. There are excellent picnic opportunities in the Mill-valley ("Malom-völgy"), where a clear water brook runs through it, and which formerly used to drive a mill. People, who love walking, can admire the rich flora on the tourists’ paths, and can meet roe-deer, deer, moufflons and wild boars. This way they can glance into the everyday life of Bakony mountains and can have unforgettable experiences.
Certainly Eplény, the ancient village, has a varied history in Veszprém county, as proved by the results of excavations at the edge of the community next to the Kökényes. Also Outlaw’s Inn ("Kökényesi Betyár Csárda"), where archeologists have excavated 150 graves and other objects from the Avar age (from about the years of 700-800).